In a recent survey, Tokyo and Paris have been decided as the cities that will be visited the most often in 2021. On the contrary, New York and London have dropped out from last year’s top 10 list.
What are the top 10 most visited cities in America?
- Tokyo, Japan (up two spots from last year’s ranking at number 5)
- Paris, France (up one spot from last year’s ranking at number 6)
- New York City, U.S.A. (down three spots from last year’s ranking at number 4)
- Amsterdam, The Netherlands (new to the list this year)
- Barcelona, Spain (up two spots from last year’s ranking at number 7)
- Madrid, Spain (down one spot from last year’s ranking at number 8)
- Seoul, South Korea (up one spot from last year’s ranking at number 9)
- Rome, Italy (down one spot from last year’s ranking at number 10)
- Taipei, Taiwan (up one spot from last year’s ranking at number 11)
- Istanbul, Turkey (new to the list this year)
The survey was conducted to 3000 participants by a top-class consulting firm specializing in travel affairs. The questions mainly consisted of ‘What cities did you visit during 2014?’, ‘What do you expect to visit in 2021?’ and so on.
The results showed that Tokyo has risen from third place last year, which is rather surprising considering the Japanese government’s tight control of immigration.
The main reason for this result was revealed to be abundant sightseeing spots, including theme parks, natural parks, and historical spots. Paris was confirmed to be the top choice for honeymoon trips this year, while Tokyo rose sharply on the list of destinations preferred by women in their twenties.
The result may seem predictable at first glance but considering last year’s results show New York and London ranking 1st and 2nd respectively; it is safe to assume that the shock is big.
The consulting firm commented that it would be a mistake to think that Tokyo and Paris will remain at the top for a long time. The rise is due to a temporary increase in interest from travelers. In fact, this type of event has been proven many times throughout history by cities such as Rome who have fallen out of the top 10 list several times.
We might just be experiencing a trend. It is likely that next year’s results will show New York and London back at the top with keen interest from American and European travelers once again.