With the onset of the pandemic came the requests for various people all over the world to wear facial masks when going out in public. Each area and region of the world has different mandates that tell visitors and residents what they must do when going out in public.
While this is a new way of life, it’s been around for two years now and we’re not sure when the reality of having to wear face masks while flying in a plane or going into a store may last. Some places have lifted their mask mandates, but if you’re traveling where facial masks are required, here are some tips to stay safe and keep your mask clean:
1. Always wear your mask in public, when around people who are not wearing masks, or when in any enclosed space where others will be breathing the same air you are.
2. If your mask starts to become uncomfortable due to dryness, skin irritation, fogging up, etc., change it immediately even if you’re not finished with your errand. Wearing a mask that does not fit your face properly could lead to a breathing problem, and wearing it for longer than its intended duration could result in bacteria or viruses entering the mask itself and then being inhaled by you.
3. Keep spare masks on hand at all times so that when one becomes uncomfortable or unusable you can change it immediately.
4. If you or someone you’re traveling with has a pre-existing breathing problem, make sure that the mask you choose is medically approved for air travel and breathing comfort.
5. Eye protection, such as goggles or glasses, should be worn whenever people are around sneezing, coughing or other respiratory activity to prevent these particles from reaching your eyes and causing infection.
6. Wash your hands as often as possible with soap and water (or antibacterial gel) to remove any harmful microorganisms before touching or adjusting your mask or respirator.
7. If you need to wipe off the inside of the mask, use only disposable tissues that have been properly disposed of.
8. If you have a question regarding if your mask is the correct fit for you, go to the local pharmacy and ask a pharmacist to help fit it properly. This will not only make it more effective, but less uncomfortable as well.
9. Cleaning facial masks on an everyday basis will keep them sanitary and free of bacteria. Follow the manufacturer’s cleaning directions to ensure your mask is safe and ready for use at all times.
10. If you are sick with a respiratory tract infection, ask someone else to purchase your facial masks for you so that others do not get sick as well.
In conclusion, the use of facial masks is just one extra step that everyone must take to increase their level of protection against this pandemic. However, each person should also understand the importance of properly caring for and cleaning these masks so that they’re always comfortable and safe to wear.